Online Threats are Targeting more Small Businesses in 2016
Small businesses have long thought they were too inconsequential for a targeted cyber attack, but that is just not true anymore. In fact, they have become an easier target as many large companies have upgraded their own internet security. Many small businesses do not have on-staff IT support, nor do they want to spend what they perceive as lot of money updating and securing their system. Some businesses still have Windows XP machines, older versions of Internet Explorer, and some even have no security software at all.
We have been receiving calls almost weekly from small business owners who have had their websites, email, and social media sites attacked. These companies did not realize just how much they were at risk until it was too late. Some of the businesses we have helped have lost up to twenty thousand dollars because of their lack of security awareness. It was only after they suffered such losses that they realized the error in their thinking that they were not a big enough business to be cyber attacked.
Although there is no way to know where these attackers are going to strike next, there is a way to help mitigates the risks and make your business less vulnerable. We can help you become proactive in preventing such attacks on your company and in the end, save you money.
Here are a few free and easy steps that can help reduce your risk:
- Turn on Two Factor authentication for email
- For Google Gmail https://www.google.com/landing/2step/
- For Microsoft Hosted Mail http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq
- Get an AntiVirus / AntiSpyway (none are perfect, but they are better than nothing)
- Stop Using Internet Explore and use either FireFox or Google Chrome for web browsing
- Make sure all of your computers are up to date
- Replace older systems running Windows XP
- Make sure Flash and Java is up to date or remove them if you are not using
- Have Internal Polices to help prevent a breach
So if you have any questions or wish to have us come out to give you a free evaluation, give us a call today!